What is a Certified Arborist?!
One of the most common questions I get asked is, “What is an Arborist?” I got this question again the other day, so It prompted me to write this to teach you about what an arborist is so you can choose the right qualified professionals to take care of your trees!
The International Society of Arboriculture defines a certified arborist as: Those individuals who have achieved a level of knowledge in the art and science of tree care through experience and by passing a comprehensive examination developed by some of the nation’s leading experts on tree care. Certified Arborists must also continue their education to maintain their certification and adhere to a Code of Ethics. Therefore, they are more likely to be up to date on the latest techniques in arboriculture.
Alright so … that’s a lot of words, but let me point out 3 phrases that I think really sum it up quite nicely:
1. Individuals who have achieved a level of knowledge in the art and science of tree care through experience and by passing a comprehensive exam. Honestly, I’ve taken the test twice and it really was simple and easy. Make sure to ask questions about how they will do the work, the equipment used, and other safety related questions!
2. Continue their education to maintain their certification. Continuing Education Units or CEUs are easy to come by. I pushed through about 165 CEUs to get qualified to take my board-certified master arborist exam (that one WAS hard!) in about 2 months. This is good that they are attending industry functions, but keep up those questions to make sure they really know their stuff!
3. More likely to be up to date on the latest techniques in arboriculture. Look for someone who is ACTIVELY involved in industry events and is up to date on current events in trees. Don’t know current tree-search? No problem, check out US Tree Care’s Facebook Page for some great, relevant, up to date tree tips and news sent to you daily!
But the International Society of Arboriculture missed the most important part of being a real life Certified Arborist; PASSION! Tree Care has changed my life for the better on so many levels and it has made me both physically tough, and have an incredibly huge heart. The Arborists who you want to hire tend to fall in love with trees and nature, and it becomes, not a job, but a mission in life. You will know by the level of passion and professionalism that he or she brings to the table when you've found the right arborist
But why Hire an Arborist over a landscaper?
Well Qualified Arborists can help provide:
- Increased property value through proper care of your tree
- Prevention and treatment of diseases, meaning less headache
- Safer trees meaning you can enjoy them more without the worry
- Specialized knowledge on the exact needs of your tree
- A proven track record of storm damage prevention
- Decreases need for pruning frequency, saving you money
I’m on a mission here to connect people with nature through the proper care of trees because trees are important to us as people, and I’d love to have you join me on this journey! Do me a favor, and click on the little Black button at the bottom to subscribe so I can keep sending you fun and educational material so you can enjoy your trees better. Also be sure and like us on facebook www.facebook.com/ustreecare ... Thanks again!
“The Tree Care Ninja”